At present it is 16ºC. Going to a high of 18ºC. UV Index of 3. Cloudy and a 70% chance of showers. Since this past Friday, the days have started their descent into darkness. The only thing summer at my house is the LCBO Food & Drink magazine. With the latest issue being released today, I intend to spend my morning warming up in its gloriously colourful pages.
This issue is brimming with salads, salads and more salads. As the bounty is already starting to come off the fields (my first CSA pickup with Roots and Shoots Farm starts tomorrow!), there are so many wonderful combinations that can make the colours and tastes on your dinner table pop.
I loved seeing the many strawberry recipes as well. The season is well underway in our zone, but it won’t last long. So if there is something in the Strawberry Social segment calling out to you, make it without delay. I hope you will have good luck finding beautiful, juicy local berries.
What caught my attention in this issue? Here are some of the highlights.
- Strawberry Parfaits with Cheesecake Cream & Lime Curd (From Strawberry Social by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley)
- Sesame Grilled Baby Bok Choy Salad (From Party Platters by Jennifer MacKenzie)
- Grilled Chicken Satays (From Sweet Sensations by Sarah Goddard and Nicole Young)
- Planked Salmon with Ginger-Mirin Mayonnaise (From Top Tips For The Grill by Lucy Waverman)
- Grilled Zucchini & Buffalo Mozzarella Salad and Raw Kale Slaw (From Simply Irresistible by Christopher St. Onge)
- Crostini with Shrimp Ceviche & Spanish Gazpacho Shooters (From Fishing For Complements by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley)
- Baby Back Ribs on Maple Planks (From What’s New On The Q by James Chatto and Robert Rainford)
The Summer Playlist is solid with great tunes meant to make you relaxed and mellow. With the likes of Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Supremes, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson, Fontella Bass and James Brown, I recommend not using glassware for your drinks. You are are high risk of melting blissfully away in your lawn chair. The only one missing seems to be Barry White. Rick Shurman and Earl Torno have done it again. If you have to have it, you can get it on iTunes.
Do you have a soft spot for ‘sensible decor touches’? In Inspired Ideas by Brenda Morrison, I was immediately attracted to the colourful Västlig Gardening bags from IKEA. They look very sharp used as vases!
Kudos to Ruth Gangbar for her food styling work!
Plan ahead: The Autumn issue hits the stores 10 weeks from today on Wednesday, September 7th.