When you are feeding a crowd, eating pizza out can get pretty pricy. With 8 adults having a summer ‘Za’ craving, we decided to make it at home on the BBQ.
Tips for the Grill:
- Heat the pizza stone when heating the BBQ
- Prepare your pizza on a round baking sheet to bring to the grill.
- Be liberal with your corn meal on the baking sheet so it is an easy slide onto the stone.
- Make sure to turn off the middle element to provide indirect heat. Direct heat will burn the crust.
- Put the heat down on the other elements and keep the lid closed for the baking duration.
My favourite pizza:
BBQ Chicken, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
Homemade pizza dough
Corn meal for the pan
Mozzarella cheese, grated
Grilled chicken covered in BBQ sauce
Bacon, partly fried
The other three pizzas had a delicious homemade sauce made with a can of whole San Marzano tomatoes, fresh thyme, oregano and basil. Plus salt, pepper and sugar.
The toppings included mozzarella cheese and then a selection of tomatoes, peppers (yellow, orange, red), hot pepperoni pepper, Genoa salami, cubed ham, bacon (partly fried), mushrooms, caramelized onions. Fresh basil for garnish.
Have you ever made pizza on the BBQ? Do you have any special tips? What are your favourite toppings?