The Early Summer issue of the LCBO’s Food & Drink Magazine was released in stores today!!
For those that may have caught a glimpse of the cover on their website recently, I can only assume that you have your own hardcopy in your hot little hands as we speak.
Being a bit of a fact hound, I happen to know that I am exactly 1.7 kms from 3 different outlets. It does seem a bit ‘DanBrownesque’ that I am in this equidistant triangle. My house is some sort of liquor mecca perhaps? For those that know me, you would agree that it is a bit overzealous coverage for my party needs. But there are times when such closeness serves me well. And today was one of those days. My favourite outlet at Kirkwood and Richmond had empty magazine racks when I dropped in at 9:30 this morning. (The Easter holidays had slowed things up. Perhaps by Noon they said.) This could have been very unsettling, but in my case, I just carried on down the road to option two. And voilà!
The Early Summer issue is my second favourite next to the Holiday edition. It tends to scream new season in a way you can actually trust and believe. The winter fatigue is loosening its hold and we are pushing forth from our stale cocoons much like the buds and blooms around us.
This issue is more than pretty. It is packed with tempting recipes perfect for family time and party time. As I was racing through the pages I was struck by how dead easy so many recipes appear to be. Perfect timing with Mother’s Day just weeks away.
I may just refer to this as ‘The Lucy Edition’ with so many of Ms. Waverman’s creations tucked between the pages.
The highlights for me:
- Lemon Roulade with Whipped Cream Limoncello & Lemon Thyme (From What’s Fresh for Dinner by Lucy Waverman)
- Fettuccine with Pancetta, Pine Nuts & Arugula Sauce (From Dressing Up with Greens by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley)
- Honeyed Grapefruit Gelée with Orange Blossom Water Syrup & Fresh Fruit (From Blossom Season by Christopher St. Onge)
- Shrimp with Caramel Sauce (From Australia’s Regional Cuisine by Lucy Waverman)
- Japanese Chicken Curry (From Global Chicken by Lucy Waverman)
- Creamy Barley Risotto with Asparagus & Porcini (From Meatless Marvels by Michael Fagan)
- Ale Braised Short Ribs (From Opening Weekend by Julia Rogers and Tonia Wilson)
I had a good chuckle at The Family Weekend Playlist. Rick Shurman and Earl Torno included some oldie goldies like When You’re In Love With a Beautiful Woman by Dr. Hook and Let Your Love Flow by The Bellamy Brothers. Family Weekend Playlist? More like Making Family Weekend Playlist! They did include some dock rockers like Sunny Days by Lighthouse, Down On the Corner by Creedence Clearwater Revival and Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles. A great list nonetheless and worth a look. You can purchase it online.
Plan ahead: The Summer issue hits the stores 9 weeks from today on Wednesday, June 29th.
Now time to curl up for a more leisurely browse as I nurse my second Flat White.